Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Book Review - The Boy Who Fell to Earth by Kathy Lette

I am a big fan of Kathy Lette. I like her style of writing as it really appeals to me. Kathy is the woman who gave Puberty Blues which we all read! I knew that Kathy had an autistic son. Autism is something that is inescapable. I have taught many students who are autistic and I know people who have autistic children. When I was at school autism was not a word used to describe someone and there were not programs put in place to help students who needed support like many of the students I teach.
Reading this book was like a breath of fresh air. Someone had put it down in writing in a beautiful manner what it is like to have an autistic son. Although the work is fictional it is based on Kathy's experiences of having an autistic son. There were lots of moments that gave me the giggles but there were others that made me wonder how I would cope placed in the same situation. I don't know how I would cope.
So it was great to read about Merlin and his adventures and giggle when he comes out with things that he thinks are normal even though we think they are a faux pas.

Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Cheryll said...

Now I can come by and visit! :)

Post a Comment